the days before the paid Department in New York City, Ladder 6 was known
as "Phoenix Hose Company."
6 was formed in the Metropolitan Fire Department (which became the FDNY
under the Tweed Charter) on September 27th, 1865.
6's quarters at 77 Canal St. was previously an American Civil War Hospital
and an armory.
1965 the City of New York purchased the adjoining building and began
combining the two.
May of 1969, with the new facilities finished, Engine 9 and with Ladder
6 were quartered together.